Dean of StudiesMag.art. Josef Kaiser
Dean of Studies office hours: Tue 14:00 - 16:00, Wed 10:00 - 12:00
Oskar-Kokoschka-Platz 2, Ferstel-Trakt, first floor
The Dean of Studies handles the following tasks:
- Authorizing the taking of exams for studies at a university other than the university of admission (§ 63 para. 9 Z 2 Universities
- Authorizing applications for leave of absence from studies (§ 67 para. 1 Univ. Act)
- Nullifying an officially notified exam result when enrolment to the exam was achieved by fraudulent means (§ 73 para. 1 Univ.
- Issuing certificates for degrees obtained (§ 74 para. 3 Univ. Act)
- Calling on professionally qualified examiners for admission exams and supplementary tests (§ 75 para. 1 Univ. Act)
- If required, calling on persons with a comparable authorization to teach at other recognized domestic or foreign education
institutions for tutoring activities and assessing diploma theses, master theses, and dissertations (statute section "Study
Law" § 10 para. 2)
- If required, calling on professionally qualified examiners to act as head of a course for course exams (statute section "Organizational
Law / Board Examinations“ § 7 para.1)
- Appointing board members for examination committees (statute section "Organizational Law / Board Examinations“ § 7)
- Stipulating the more detailed terms regarding the organizational aspects of carrying out exams (statute section "Study Law"
§ 8 para. 3)
- Issuing the recognition to positively assessed exams for regular students of other approved domestic or foreign post-secondary
educational institutions, or a higher vocational college, or a college of education, or studies at recognized educational
institutions requiring general university entrance qualifications, or a course at university level – under the proviso that
the exams in question are of equal value to the exams of the curriculum (§ 78 para. 1 Univ. Act)
- Issuing the recognition to positively assessed exams of a non-degree student that were taken at an educational institution
pursuant to § 78 para. 1 Univ. Act, provided the exams are of equal value to the compulsory exams in the curriculum of the
university course (§ 78 para. 9 Univ. Act)
- Issuing an official notice to revoke negatively assessed exams in case of serious flaws in their execution (§ 79 para. 1 Univ.
- Ensuring the safe-keeping of assessment documents not handed out to the student, for a duration of at least 6 months from
the date of the assessment announcement (§ 79 para. 3 Univ. Act)
- Authorizing the application to exclude from use certain scientific and artistic works submitted to the university library
pursuant to § 86 para. 1 Univ. Act for a period of 5 years max. from the time of submission (§ 86 para. 4 Univ. Act)
- Issuing notifications regarding the awarding of academic degrees to graduates of the regular study programmes (§ 87 para.
1 Univ. Act)
- Issuing notifications regarding the awarding of academic degrees to graduates of university courses (§ 87 para. 2 Univ.
- Issuing official notices regarding the nullifying of award notifications of domestic academic degrees (§ 89 Univ. Act)
- Issuing the recognition to a foreign graduation as completion of a domestic regular study (Nostrification, § 90 para. 3 Univ.
- Issuing an official notice to revoke the nostrification of completed studies, particularly when these were obtained by way
of false certificates (§ 90 para.5 Univ. Act)
(granting recognition to a foreign academic degree)
Nostrification – explanatory notes regarding the application form
Universities Act 2002 § 90:
Statute, II. Part, Study Law § 12:Application for Nostrification: In the application for nostrification the applicant is to name the domestic course of studies, and the intended domestic
academic degree, that is comparable to the foreign studies. The following documentation is to be enclosed to the application:o passport,o evidence that the recognized foreign post-secondary education institution is of comparable quality to a recognized domestic
post-secondary education institution if this is not beyond doubt for the Dean of Studies,o evidence regarding the studies completed at the recognized foreign post-secondary education institution if these are
not already known to the Dean of Studies,o the particular certificate that was issued as evidence of the academic degree, or if such degree was not to be awarded,
issued as evidence of the duly completed studies. In case of certificates in a foreign language, the applicant is to submit authorized translations. Pursuant to para.
1 Z 4 the certificate is to be presented in the original. The Dean of Studies is entitled to waive the obligation to submit certain documents if they are satisfied that it would
be impossible or excessively difficult to present these within a reasonable period of time, and if the documents submitted
provide a sufficient basis for a decision. Taking into consideration which curriculum was valid at the time of applying, it is to be verified that the foreign course
of studies was set up to result in an overall education equal to the one of the domestic course of studies named in the application.
It is permissible to use a sample test to achieve more detailed knowledge about the contents of the foreign study course. If equal value exists in principle and only individual supplements are missing to achieve full equivalence, the Dean
of Studies is to issue an official notice to admit the applicant to the course of studies as a non-degree student, with the
instruction to take exams and produce either a scientific paper or artistic diploma thesis in order to achieve equivalence
within a reasonable period that is to be stipulated in the official notice. The regulations regarding recognition to exams, scientific papers, and artistic diploma theses are not to be applied.
- Applying for recognition to a foreign degree as the successful completion of a domestic, regular study (nostrification) requires
evidence that the nostrification is absolutely necessary for applicants to work or continue their education in Austria. More
detailed terms are to be determined in the Statute. (EXPLANATION: This means that in general all academic degrees awarded
at recognized secondary education institutions within the area of the EU are not to be nostrified. For all other applicants
of a nostrification the restrictions under (1) apply). However, such graduates reserve the right to use the degree acquired
in their home country and, in Austria, add it after their last name.
- The application is to be submitted to the university at which the applicant is registered for the relevant, domestic course
of studies. It is not permissible to submit the same nostrification application to another university either at the same time
or after withdrawing it from the first one.
- The nostrification is to be granted with an official notification issued by the governing body responsible for study law matters.
The notification is to stipulate the domestic graduation that equals the foreign one and to state which domestic, academic
degree based on the nostrification the applicant is entitled to use instead of the foreign degree. The fact that a notification
was issued is to be recorded on the document presented as evidence of the foreign graduation.
- An official notice to revoke the nostrification is to be issued when the nostrification was attained fraudulently, particularly
when false certificates were involved.
- The fee to nostrify a foreign graduation amounts to €150. The fee is to be paid in advance. This payment will be forfeited
if the application for nostrification is rejected or withdrawn.
Information regarding the Recognition to ExamsThe Dean of Studies advises as follows: Universities Act 2002Granting Recognition to Exams
For all queries and applications regarding recognition to exams, students are requested to get an application form from the
office of the Dean of Studies. This form is to be completed and, together with all necessary attachments (certificates, documents,
curriculum analyses, etc.) to be submitted to the office of the Dean of Studies, or – during the normal running of study programmes
– to be handed in personally during the office hours of the Dean of Studies on Tuesdays 14:00 – 16:00 hrs and Wednesdays 10:00
- 12:00 hrs.
- Positively assessed exams that regular students took at an approved domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution,
or a higher vocational college, or a college of education, or in studies at recognized educational institutions requiring
general university entrance qualifications, or in a course at university level, need the regular student’s application for
recognition submitted to the governing body responsible for study law matters who will issue the appropriate notification,
provided the exams are of equal value to the compulsory exams of the curriculum. Exams passed in a subject at a domestic university
or a university of the European Union or European Economic Area are to be recognized for further study of the same subject
at another domestic university provided the number of ECTS credit points is the same or only slightly different
of exams taken at another university which contravene the provisions of § 63 para. 8 and 9 is excluded...